Thursday, 11 August 2011

Living the Fit Life! Reader Interview

This girl knows how to live the Good Life! We interviewed Ille Storm after she completed her first half marathon during the Knysna Oyster Festival.



1.       How long have you been a runner?

I started running about a year and a half ago when I moved to Seapoint. I live very close to the Seapoint promenade and love running next to the ocean. I run to relax, stay fit and healthy but mostly to enjoy the outdoors.
2.       Did you change your training routine to prepare for the Knysna 21?

I did not change my routine drastically, I just trained more frequently. I also trained quite a bit indoors on the treadmill during the week due to winter. Weekends I did longer runs outdoors.
3.       Give us an overview of your experience for the race

The race was a great experience! The weather was fantastic and we were 7 friends who all did it for the first time. The route is really pretty and makes the running easier.
I was a bit stressed about the first 10km which is a gravel road in the forest (as I have never run off road before)- turns out this was the easiest part of the race!

This was followed by a very steep long downhill in the Simola golf estate, but the vibe and spectacular views made this easier. Even though the last 4km is flat this was the toughest part for me especially after the downhill.
But it was well worth it- before we knew it the 21.1km was behind us.
4.       Did you run for a cause?

We did not run for a cause this year but we will be back next year and definitively want to run for a cause then.

5.       What tips do you have for first time half marathon runners?
The only goal which I set for myself was to finish the race and really enjoy it. Next time I will try and run a certain time but for your first half marathon I think it’s great to only try and finish.

Also do not train too hard 2 weeks before the race- rather rest your legs, especially if you have a slight injury. It really makes a difference.

Listen to your body during training- with running you can injure your body easily. Rather take 3 or 4 days to recover after a longer run (8 - 12 km etc) instead of trying to push yourself too hard.



Hope to hear from more Good Life Readers about their running experiences!

Good Life Dietitians

No comments:

Post a Comment